16 December 2009

Analysing Title Sequences

I have decided to analyse the skins series 3 title sequence .. Skins Episode 1 Part 1.. Embedding was disabled by E4 so I have provided the same link as my previous post.

At the beginning of the title sequence there is smoke and cheerful music, from this I connote that the smoke is from a cigerette, and the cheerful music may repressent that whoever is smoking does not care whether it is bad or unhealthy. There is then a fast cut to a tilt shot showing the clouds, from this i connote the contrast between adults smoking and children playing outdoors, which may leave the audience questionning whether it is based on teenagers as they are in between becoming adults from children. There is then a figure holding a cigerette standing on a hill over looking a town scape, I connote that he is a teenager because he is wearing tracksuit bottoms, and from the hedge like scenery it looks as if he's in the park. It then quickly cuts adding another figure to the scene, they are holding something round which I connote to be a ball which supports my connotation of it being set in a park.

It then cuts to them on a skate park there are three boys they are drinking cans of alcohol and smoking cigerettes, from this I connote that they are rebellious and behave eratically. It then cuts again to a girl fiddling with something, oblivious to a boy and a girl kissing behind her, I connote from this that the teenagers do not care about how they appear and portray themselves in public as they are being sexual, this supports the negative stereptype of 21st century teenagers. It then cuts to a boy exhaling smoke outdoors and his left ear is pierced, I connote from this that he does not care about rules as he is smoking in public and ear piercings suggests to people that he has a bad attitude. After another fast cut it shows a girls upper face with dark eye makeup and squinty eyes, which may also repressent attitude, the shot then focusses on her in a skate park behind a council estate which could connote a bad or 'rough' area that they live in. There is then a fast selection of cuts showing different characters, this may be introducing us to the main characters in the programme. There is then a cut which shows a deck of cards being swiped in to a fan, from this I connote that there may be a character who is eccentric or comedic.

After another selection of fast cuts focussing on characters, there is a noticable cut, of some of the characters already shown in the sequence, at a table outside drinking shots of alcohol, from this I connote that they are at a bar or pub illegally drinking whilst underage, this supports the idea of them being rebellious, it also supports the stereotypes teenagers are given in todays society. After more fast cuts we see a girl and boy kissing which is layered with a low opacity over another shot, from this I can connote that the teens have an energetic and badly behaved lifestyle, and it may interest audiences as they may be intrigued to see what mischievious actions are to follow. There is then a shot of all the characters walking towards the camera in a line, from this I connote that they are in a gang, and in the British culture gangs are reputable to misbehaviour and causing trouble within a society.

The title sequence is extremely fast with 53 cuts in 27 seconds, this may repressent the exciting and energetic lifestyle the teenagers have. It is also editted so that the contrast is very high making the colours bright and vibrant which may repressent their youth or interesting lives. At the end of the sequence the title "skins" appears, showing flashes of colour through the letters, 'skin' is slang for the papers used to role up cigerettes or 'spliff's', so from this the audience can expect the teenagers being in exciting and mischievious situations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment